Monday, May 5, 2008

Pleeease take a drink!

(This is a post I did on another blog I contribute to. I got several good suggestions from other young mothers, but I thought I'd put it out there to the rest of you...I know there are some more experienced mothers who check my blog. Help!)

Dealing with fevers here in our home...ugh! So how do you other mothers get your kids to keep drinking liquids? Especially water. Jonathan, 3 1/2, is SO stubborn. When he gets sick, he won't drink. Yesterday, he ran a temp anywhere from 102 to maxing out our temporal thermometer. It read "HI", which I read in the manual meant 107.4 or above. Pretty freaky.

So, we have tried everything...gatorade, apple juice, Pedialyte disguised as apple juice, lukewarm tea, popsicles... We try different glasses hoping one of them will interest him and he'll think it's cool to drink...Clifford cup, cool cup with built in straw/handle, just a plain blue plastic glass from the camper, his Camelbak, a big sports bottle like Daddy uses...Nothing works! Of course, when he's burning up, nothing is good. This is understandable, but it reaches a point where we are frantic to get him to drink. I fed him Saltines yesterday in hopes of getting him thirsty...it sort of worked. He did drink a little. FYI, I know he doesn't have enough liquids in him because he didn't pee today until about 1pm, not even this morning when he got up.

This morning was horrible. Now he is complaining about having "stains in his mouth from drinking the green water." (clear water from his green cup, which, btw, he specifically asked for last night.) Nothing takes the "stain" away. I brushed his teeth and tongue, he rinsed with mouthwash, I gave him 1/4 of a zinc tablet, gave him water in his blue glass, gave him a juice pouch, then resorted to yelling I was so frustrated. He whined ALL morning and it drives me absolutely bonkers. I asked him if his tongue hurt and he said yes, but couldn't explain it any further. I looked at it and it just looks like it may need more brushing...it has a whiteish film on it.

OK, so suggestions on 1) how do you get your kids to keep drinking? and 2) how do you get them to get past things like Jonathan's "stains on his tongue"?

6 comments:

Wishful Thinking said...

I can't really help sorry. I am very fortunate that Aaron really only drinks water, the very occasional juice (watered down!) and milk now and then (oh and the dregs of Lyndon's coffee). He loves icecubes! (crazy kids ... gets that from me!) So when he has a fever I give him icecubes to suck and crunch! And offer him his bottle every 15 minutes, even if he only has a sip I figure he's getting some in there! It's hard though ... don't know about your kids, but mine seem to LOVE sucking face cloths in the bath ... maybe you could try that! hee hee Good luck! Luv R

Darla said...

Thanks Rachel. Forgot about ice cubes. Tomorrow...

Darla said...

Thanks Joyce. Jonathan doesn't complain of a sore throat, just this silly "stain". He can't explain that, but certain things bug his mouth...acidic things like OJ, maybe even apple juice, spicy foods, honey nut cheerios (huh?!). But today at lunch he ate about 1/2 cup of those dry chow mein noodles, and he liked some pretzels today, and he drank 2 glasses of cherry kool-aid with 7-up. Tonight, he ate about 2/3 of a small burrito with refried beans and cheese, a couple pieces of tomatoes and some black olives. So he is on the mend. YAY!

All About the B's said...

Hey Darla, with Brayden he loves to drink his bath water yuk I know, but when his fever is high I put him in a tepid bath to help bring it down and usually while in there he gets to feeling better and drinks some. I set a glass on the side of the tub too with water in it and usually can talk him into drinking every few minutes. The tepid brings his temp down enough so he begins to feel better and act better too. I tried the popcicles too like dr mentioned, but he doesn't care for them as he doesn't really drink juice at all. The dr mentioned the bath and it seems to really work. Glad he is on the mend though. See you in June.

Kate said...

I am so glad that he is on the mend. I tried to think of some things that could help. Fischer loves to drink everything, so I have never experienced this problem. I know Fischer loves to go to a special place like McDonald's, and get his own cup. It is hard to do when our little ones don't feel good, but if I was desperate I might go through the drive through and order him a special drink with a cup!?! I loved everyone else's suggestions, and if this ever happens I will be ready. :)

Crystal & Warner said...

Thanks for commenting. Sorry I can't help with the parenting advise. As to answer your questions Yes this is our first and Yes little Amelia is one of our friend's girls that I babysit. Good luck with getting the advise that works, for your lil man.