Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mothering is an Adventure.

This is something I wrote for the MOPS newsletter in September. Our theme this year is "Adventures in Mothering". Enjoy!

MOTHERING IS AN ADVENTURE

Mothering is an adventure I think you’ll agree,
full of little kids voices saying, “Mommy may we
swing on the swing set; play in the sand;
hunt some mean gophers or antelope, and
be excavators and dig a big hole?
Hey, Mommy, can I have a snack in a bowl?”

Mothering is an adventure. We all know it’s true,
full of little kids voices saying, “Mommy will you
build me a train track going up a big hill?
Will you read me the story about, um, Jack and Jill?
Mommy, did you know my swing’s a skid steer?
Did you know I have hunted a lot of mean deer?”

Mothering is an adventure. I don’t think I’m alone
when I want to tell everyone about my little son
who uses couch cushions as ice so he can go skating
and escape or catch sharks and mean seals who are waiting.
And my daughter who wants to be just like big brother;
she loves dolls and tools, to the humor of her mother!

Mothering is an adventure and not just for the kids.
It’s daring for us to give them cups with no lids.
It’s a challenge for us to keep quiet when they hit heads or knees,
and not call 911, but just say “Whoopsie!”
It’s exhilarating for us to experience all of those firsts.
It’s plain fun to be parenting despite all of the “worsts”.

Mothering is an adventure I think you’ll agree
full of hours and hours of “Mommy and me”.
Mothering is an adventure. I don’t think I’m alone
when I say it is best when Daddy comes home!

No comments: