Sunday, December 14, 2008

RRRRobin Hood!

Jonathan got to watch the animated version of "Robin Hood" one evening. Now he's really into it. The next day, (while I was supposed to be sewing basket inserts for the Longaberger baskets Michael is sending out to 2008 customers), Jonathan asked if I could make him a Robin Hood dress. I looked all over the house for a big green t-shirt I could just belt for him. No luck! Then I spotted a pair of green sweat pants that was slated for cutting for rags. Perfect! So I cut off the legs, slit them up the seams, then sewed it all together, realized I had just made a perfectly good bag but NOT a tunic, ripped out what I had just sewed, bit back a few bad words, (said a few in spite of myself), made several other attempts, ripped out a few more seams, growled a few times at my sweet boy who was getting impatient for his "Robin Hood dress", made lunch, put Annisia down for a nap, then managed to finish the tunic in just under 4 hours! Yes, you read that right...4 hours of my life making this thing. Man was I stressed out! Sewing machines and I do not have a very good relationship. They have always been a source of stress for me. Just ask my mom and my home economics teacher! Seam rippers and I, on the other hand, have a very bonding relationship! Yep, we are like apples and pie. I really think I should have invested in an ergonomic handled seam ripper...
Here he is, with his quiver (a Basmati rice bag), and bow (handle off of a basket and shoelace). His arrows were raspberry stalks cut last spring so they were nice and dry.

He wore it the rest of that day, the next 2 days, and took it off (under duress) to go to Bible study. I think he likes it. He still wants a hat and shoes to look more Robin Hood authentic. We may have to wait until Aunty Leilani comes to visit to do those!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

You and Leilani and sewing machines......must be why you get along so well. :-)