Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kids' Shared Birthday Party, early August 2010

Well, because Michael and I skipped town on Annisia's birthday, she didn't get a pary with friends. So, we planned a party for both kids to share with their little friends from our fellowship meeting. Annisia got to choose the cake. She chose an ice cream cake! Yippee! No baking! It was so fun to do. I bought a gallon of fudge swirl ice cream ( I NEVER buy a gallon of ice cream, well, only at Christmas time when I get one of those collector tins from Schwan's, but usually never...), I made hot fudge sauce. I used my cheesecake pan, put an oreo crust down, covered it with ice cream, a layer of hot fudge, more ice cream. Then I put blue food coloring into whipped cream and spread it over the top. Once frozen, I pulled off the springform pan and surrounded the cake with Twix and pretzels. I got a Dora and baby twins toy for Annisia and a little Annikan from Star Wars for Jonathan, then borrowed the golf balls from a little golf set the kids had. The dolls went into gummy rings and the balls were beach balls...voila! A pool party!

I decorated a table for the party too. I got the idea from the May 2009 Parents magazine then tweaked it a little with my imagination and what I had available.  I painted a tree and hills. The tree was a big green apple tree, with bowls of green things; green pepper strips, broccoli, Granny Smith apples, green grapes and cucumbers. The tree trunk was covered with pretzels and topped with peanut butter. Beside that was a hot air balloon filled with more grapes. There was a sun...a red bowl filled with goldfish crackers inside a yellow bowl filled with tortillla chips, surrounded by rainbow fruit rollups. There were some flowers with salsa, carrots, ranch dressing, and a couple of caterpillars; snack cups filled with raisins and an animal cracker. It's a good thing mommies came. The kids could have cared less! Simply put, the cake was the cake!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww :) Cute!! Happy Birthday!! Is she 4? It has been 2 years since I saw you at Cody..so she couldn't have been only 2 then!! :)
Emily

Darla said...

Emily, I hang my head in shame...this is LAST summer's birthday. She turned 4. She'll be 5 in July. So she would have been 3 when you saw her. Thanks for checking in.