Thursday, March 8, 2007

Baby Food!

Here's Annisia enjoying Apple Sweet Potatoes thanks to a recipe I found on another blog. (Thanks RaeAnn! I don't know you, but I'm getting to know Dana.) Annisia thinks this is pretty good food. The prep, cooking, pureeing, and storing take quite a bit of work (I will do it differently next time...by that I mean I won't start at 3pm Wed, when I need to get dinner ready and get to Bible study too!), but, my word, do those recipes make a lot of food! What's really cool is they save some money: Here's a comparison:
Cost of product:
  • 2 sweet potatoes, 2 yams, 4 apples, 1 cup oatmeal, 2# lentils, 2# carrots, 1 butternut squash, 1.5 cups brown rice, little bits of spices = $13
  • GladLock containers =$4ish
  • total amount spent = $17
  • amount of food made = 33 cups! = 262 oz
  • for $0.065/oz
Cost to buy the same amount of baby food
  • 2 - 5 oz containers baby 1 on sale @ WalMart = $0.84 = $.08/oz
  • 1 - 5 oz container baby 1 at our IGA = $1 = $0.20/oz
OK, so maybe not that great if you have access to WalMart or some other discount store. However, for me, going to WalMart these days is about as much fun as getting my teeth pulled. So! I liked this adventure...In addition, I believe the food is better for my kiddo.

And then there's Jonathan...enjoying chicken fries and baby carrots with ranch dressing! What a cheese! He's been amazing us by practically quoting books these days. We love that we're raising a reader!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey Darla,
How fun that you found that recipe on Dana's blog! Fischer is past that stage now, but I plan to use that same recipe with our next baby. Also how fun that Jonathan loves books...we had Justin, Mel and her kids here this weekend and they read a ton of books to Fish! It was neat to see them all enjoying it so much.