Thursday, March 1, 2007

Coffee, and sleep, and books, oh my!

Every day, I see yet another occupation in Jonathan's future. Monday, it was a Barista, although I am not sure if this "espresso machine" is up to Starbucks' standards. Can you tell we like coffee in this house?!










Annisia is just happy doing most anything. She likes the music (and the string) from the Poppity-Pop Elephant.

We're getting frustrated here...Annisia slept through the night at 10 weeks. Then at about 16 weeks, she stopped. Now, she can be sleeping soundly when I lay her down, and anywhere from 15 min to 1.5 hours later, she'll wake up screaming. And it's almost impossible to just soothe her without picking her up. So, we've been doing the easy thing and she makes it into our bed where she sleeps on Daddy's chest. I distinctly do not like co-sleeping, so that is annoying, but in the middle of the night, I am for anything that lets me go back to sleep. Any ideas?




Jonathan loves to read. A current favorite is Richard Scarry's (or Scary Richard according to Jonathan)"Cars and Trucks and Things That Go". On Tuesday, he was wandering around the house saying, "Who is that making a mess of the line? (the road workers were painting the dividing lines) "Is that Goldbug? No it isn't Goldbug. He wouldn't do a thing like that. It must be Maniacbug."(pg 37) This is almost a direct quote from the book! Can you tell we read it a lot? Then I got this picture of him reading about SOME ACCIDENT and that it would take Mistress Mouse a MILLION YEARS to fix everything.(pg 64)

Today, he wanted me to sing some songs from a patriotic soft book my parents gave him. It has teddy bears in it, dressed in red, white, and blue. I sang through it and when I sang "America, America", he pointed to each teddy bear and said, "That one's America, and that one's God, and that one's Brotherhood."

6 comments:

Kate said...

What great pics! That espresso maching is amazing. As for the sleeping thing...we are in the same boat. Fischer only wants to sleep with Mommy. We are going to have to change this before the new baby comes, but so far I haven't had the energy or will power to do anything about it. It is going to have to change soon. Also I am going to have to buy that book...Fischer's cousin Rory loves that book too.

Darla said...

Kate, you will have to do something soon. Have you looked at the "Baby Whisperer" book? She has lots of good advice about changing sleeping patterns, etc. We think Annisia's deal has some to do with teething, and it's not every nite, but still kind of hard. Anyways, look into that book...maybe I'll pull mine off the shelf...

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures of the kids...you have a couple of cute ones! I reconize the horse...was that taken the Sunday we were there? Lorraine

Darla said...

Lorraine, Thanks! We think so! And, yes that was the Sunday we were all at the same restaurant! Maybe our whole meeting should have gone!

Kate said...

Dear Darla,
I would be very interested in that book! I am looking for any suggestions. I tried the Ferber method, but his crib is in our livingroom right now because our ranch house doesn't have enough room for a separate nursery. I just couldn't handle him crying to sleep in his crib right in the middle of the livingroom! Hopefully this book will have more suggestions...do you want to send it this way?!?

Darla said...

Kate, I will look through the book myself again to see if it has ideas for our Annisia challenge. Then I can send it your way. Our library had a copy...I don't know if you get in to the library much, but that may be a quicker find.