Friday, September 12, 2008

Whew! Catching up is tough! 5K

Whew, this catching up business it tough especially when you're a child magnet every time you sit down at the computer! Once the rains stopped in May (I never thought I'd make such a statement...sounds like we're in monsoon land. On the contrary...!) we got going on projects. I guess we were feeling like we needed some improvements around here, so we...
  • painted the downstairs guest room, then made it Jonathan's room!
  • pulled the crib down and moved Annisia to the twin bed in her own room too!
  • craft paper sanded all the interior logs in the addition, then washed with Murphy's oil soap, followed by wiping with furniture polish
  • washed and polished kitchen and great room logs also
  • removed sod from under a pine tree, laid weed barrier, moved a bunch of rocks to that spot and planted some hardy perennials
  • planted a garden
  • planted 2 aspens by the kids' sandbox
  • sanded and recoated the south deck
  • dug up sod, laid weed barrier and made a rock border/walkway on 1/2 the north side of the addition
  • sanded and refinished the deck table and 4 chairs, glider and coffee table on the deck
  • painted the kitchen
  • sanded Bella's dog house, then put 2 coats of finish on it and painted the roof (now it's the same colors as our house!)
  • sanded the log wall in the laundry room and painted 3 coats on finish on it
  • painted the rest of the laundry room
  • running training for a 5K, 3x wk for 12 wks, with cycling class at least 2x/wk all summer
My time...38:16, I think. The first 10K runner came in about 1 minute after me. A little humbling...
Couch to Klondike class, 5K training. Most of us aren't runners, just decided to do it. Some have kept running. I haven't...had really bad shin splints until I got new shoes and wrapped my shin, then got tight calves which still give me trouble, so I decided I ought to maybe just walk...oh, who knows, I just might run again. One of these days...

Michael took 2nd in his age group, mens 40-49. Yay! He got a cool medal. His time was 25:16.

This is Nicole (with hat) and Paula (dark hair), the two organizers of the Couch to Klondike class. Nicole took 1st and Paula 3rd in our age group. The cool thing was, after they crossed the finish line, they kept running until all of us were in. I was so grateful to see Paula running toward me right before I had the final hill to climb. Her "good job, Darla, you're almost there. Just up this hill and you did it!" made my day!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you, Darla! That is WAY awesome! You should be very proud of yourself. Monique has been training for a 5K, as well, and it's been inspiring to see her determination! However, it has not prompted ME to get my rear end out there and train for the same thing!! Maybe (!!!) some day, though. :)

Thanks for all the updates! It's been wonderful to hear how your summer has been!

Wishful Thinking said...

I am exhausted just reading your list! And then you did a 5km run plus all the training! How did you do that along with everything else???? ;-) Superwoman! :-)

Leilani said...

You did it!! Hooray!!
(I'm with Jen though - I'm proud and impressed and inspired and... you don't see me out there running, hee.)