Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jonathan's birthday

My baby boy turned 4! Kind of hard to believe, but there have been lots of fun days in those four years. Here's the sweeter bunkin boo just 25 hours old. Isn't he beautiful? He was 7#10oz and 21 1/2 inches long, born August 24, 2004.


Gramma brought his first birthday cake over the day after we got home. (Truth be told, she brought an entire meal over, plus a cake!) He was a little overwhelmed with the cake I think!One year old...
Two years old...
3 years old...
...and four years old!
Jonathan was so funny. We sang "Happy Birthday" to him at breakfast, and were asking him if he was excited on the way to meeting and if he knew how old he was. Then after mtg, someone asked Jonathan how old he was. He said, "Three." very matter of factly. We reminded him he was four, it was his birthday. He finally said, "No I am not four until I eat my birthday cake!"

I made a skidsteer cake...OK it looked better in my mind, and I was humbled by my little boy who took one look at the unfinished cake and asked if it was a meat eating dinosaur. Hmmm... needs more work, I guess. I started with a 9x13 sheet, then cut and stacked two 8.25"x4.5" pieces then used the rest of the cake and pieces I carved off the cake to form the bucket and dirt. The dirt was a mix of little pieces of cake and chocolate pudding as well as M&Ms, Treasure Nugget candies and granola. The wheels are Oreos. Once it was done, Jonathan thought it was cool. Ah, a sense of relief that it was finally recognizable!

Blowing out the candles...

And grabbing the first chocolate candy, before Papa could!

Uncle Bret gave Jonathan a skunk hat. Look at J's expression. It was so great! He hardly could have cared about anything else he got, until he saw the metal grader Gramma and Papa gave him. He put the skunk hat on for awhile, then declared, "It's too hot!" It ought to be great this winter.


Annisia was getting bored with Jonathan not getting all the gifts opened, so she started helping! We found some really neat wooden kits (for $1!) that you need to paint and glue together at the Michaels craft store in Billings. Michael (my Michael, not the craft store) and Jonathan already did a plane, but we gave him two more on his birthday, a train and a bulldozer. They are a great craft activity for Jonathan and Daddy.

No comments: