Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A New Cabinet!!

Michael made me a new pantry cabinet for the kitchen!! I guess I have complained long enough about using a bookshelf in the garage to stack boxes of canned goods, then needing heavy crates to store other things like rice, chips, nuts, spices, and anything else I was worried about mice getting into...that Michael built me a GREAT new pantry cabinet!! WooHoo!

This is what the kitchen area looked like prior to the new cabinet going in. You see the fridge? Well the cabinet over the fridge was only 10.5 inches deep, so, I stacked stuff on the fridge. The other cabinet to the left of the fridge is also only 10.5 inches deep. So I crammed as much into it as I could, but there was a lot of storing going on in the garage.
Here's what it all looked like from the side. You see the depth relation between the "old" or original cabinet and the fridge. (Oh, and the sweet, beautiful entry bench on the bottom left that Michael built for my birthday a couple years ago. But, I digress...)
They unscrewed the 10.5 inch deep cabinet from the wall and moved it over. Here's Bret, Michael's brother, using a sawzall to cut out the old over the fridge cabinet. You see, the cabinet above the fridge and the cabinet to the right of it were built as one unit. (Michael's dad and brothers built all of the original cabinets, by the way.) So he sawed it out...
...then they brought in the new cabinets and put them together...
then set them up. They leveled, connected, and voila! I have approximately 48 square feet of additional accessible shelf space! A comparison? 2 foot wide by 24 ft long shelving! This is accomplished with the drawers he installed. These aren't just shelves, they are very cool drawers that have a neato feature that prevents them from slamming. You give them a shove, they go in, then slow down and finish pulling in by themselves. Sweeeeeet!
All put together. Isn't it sweet?! Oh, and that's the little footstool Daddy made for the kids' bathroom so they could reach the sink. Don't you like the handles and the cut out heart?!
My sweet Michael with his beautiful creation.
And the happy (spoiled!) homemaker showing off her cabinets! See the drawer above the fridge? Uber cool, isn't it?!
Here's sweet Annisia helping Daddy put the hardware on the next morning. She's holding the vacuum while he drills so there isn't a lot of sawdust falling. I have such good helpers!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

beautiful cabinetry! It is always nice to have more space.