Thursday, March 26, 2009

Boot Camp

O.K. Call me nuts (and if you knew me well, you will!) but I have been teaching a 6-7 a.m. boot camp class since March 9. All right, you, get up off the floor. I do know how to get up early, I just don't like it!! I didn't name the class, I just offered to do it. I have been leading a group cycle class for awhile now, and, last spring, a friend and I were co-teaching a class we called "Kick and Kore", incorporating some kickboxing (what I taught) and free weights and abs, what she taught. This is all at the YMCA, btw. Anyways, the class is a fun one...you never know what we're going to do until you arrive...heh, heh, heh!

So, this is what we did Wednesday, just to give you an idea of the style of class.

Indoor Boot Camp 1
This is a [Other] pattern from www.turnstep.com. (pattern 16784)
Warm-up: 5 minutes
30 seconds each: power walk, jog, side shuffle right leg lead, power walk, side shuffle left leg lead, power walk, walking lunges with upper body rotation, inch worm (hand on floor, walk out to front plank, walk toes in, repeat), power walk.

Balance:
* Single leg squat with reach forward x 8 each side
* Single leg squat with opposite leg sweep (touch to front and circle around to back) x 8 each side

Cardio/strength circuit #1 (using 8-12 pound weights)
* 1 Minute squats
* 1 Minute bent over rows
* 1 Minute speed skater cardio drill last 15-second increase intensity and bend knees deeper and reach low to the ground when going side to side
x 2 sets

Cardio/strength circuit #2 (using 8-12 pound weights)
* 2 Minutes walking lunges around room
* 1 Minute shoulder press
* 1 Minute side-to-side squat cardio drill. Last 15 second increase intensity and make them plyometric
x 2 sets

Cardio/strength circuit #3 (using 8-12 pound weights)
* 1 Minute stiff legged dead lifts
* 1 Minute pushups
* 1 Minute cross-country skiing cardio drill. Increase intensity last 15 second and make them split squat jumps
x 2 sets

Cool down: 2-4 laps walking around room

Core:
* 1 Minute crunches
* 1 Minute supermans
x 2 sets

* 1 Minute front bridge
* 30 Second side bridge each side
x 2 sets

Stretch: 5 minutes

Why don't you give it a try? Then comment the next morning (after you have taken two advil!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weeell, I might make it through the first 5 minutes.... and maybe the last 5 !!! My left hip hurt just reading it!!! Janice

Darla said...

HA! That's funny Janice!

Anonymous said...

Darla,

Now that is some serious workout stuff! I'm glad you are not my coach because I have personal trained quite a bit and that looks pretty intense. You would have to do cpr on me for sure! That's awesome you are so in shape!

Congrats on your 39th bday! It seems like yesterday we met and you were getting married! Time flies!

Laurel