Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jonathan's birthday...#5!

It's hard to believe it's already been 5 years since I lay in that hospital bed wishing I could stand and walk more and wanting my baby out of me and not being able to make it happen...then the suggestion of "I recommend a C-section as it seems the baby is not progressing..." u.g.h.

But! Now my healthy young man is 5! And he lives life to the fullest, and, despite the occasional days that I get frustrated with him, he is a joy! He is witty, musical, strong, loving, adventurous, and imaginative. my birthday tradition is a special cake for the kids. Here's a review...click on the links to see his first birthday, second birthday, third birthday, fourth birthday. When I asked him what he wanted for his fifth birthday cake, he said, "An excavator!" So I showed him a picture of a cake that didn't look too hard to make...and he nixed it. So we got out his favorite "Machines That Work" (which you can't get anymore) book and found the one he wanted. Then I told Michael he'd be helping me with this one! It looks pretty good here...
...and a little rough here! But he loved it! Notice the rocks in the dirt...must have been digging for our foundation! (I should have used Brazil nuts!)
But, the cake was a hit. And it was a chocolate peanut butter swirl...Yummy!
Then gift time! A John Deere tractor,
a baseball and glove from Uncle Bret...



Gramma and Papa got Jonathan a work bench...
And Uncle Jon and Aunt Marti got him a nerf gun...great...(!) I know this isn't all the gifts he got...Oh yes! Then there's the one Daddy and I got...
a new bike!! WooHoo!
And here's his trial run!


I don't know why I put this pic with Jonathan's birthday, but it's a sweet photo of Daddy and Jonathan reading, a favorite pastime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darla,

I love how the cake turned out! That's awesome! My oh my your kiddos are growing up so fast! Seems just yesterday you sent me a postcard announcing his birth.

Laurel

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.